The Youth Peace Initiative is current inactive. For enquiries, please contact the Sydney Peace Foundation at
In keeping with its mission to recognise and encourage expertise in the promotion of peace with justice, the Sydney Peace Foundation established the Youth Peace Initiative (YPI) in consultation with students and teachers from a number of NSW secondary schools. The purpose of YPI is both to enable and also to learn from the voices of Australian youth that speak out on issues relating to peace and social justice. It is a youth-driven, community development project, which not only promotes a critical literacy around peace with justice and nonviolence among young people, but also seeks to bring youth experiences and insights to bear on shaping the nature of that literacy.Youth Peace Initiative Website
For young people
Whether you are an individual, a youth club, a gang of mates, or a student committee, YPI provides a variety of forms of support and assistance to those who are either already involved in peace and justice-related activities or who are interested in getting involved. Submit a project to the online Youth Peace Projects Gallery, or simply register as a member of the YPI website and have your say on the Peace Wall.
As a YPI member you also gain access to:
- A platform for promoting your own project(s) & related events – with your own webpage & URL within the site as well as opportunities to contribute to regular newsletters;
- Individualised support & guidance in developing your existing project or project idea;
- Possible media coverage;
- An online forum for sharing ideas for projects & activities through a growing network of young people involved in social justice & peace promotion;
- Opportunities to participate in, as well as helping to decide on the topics and content for regular offline/online youth peace forums & video conferences;
- Regular updates on peace and justice related events and activities around NSW, Australia, & the world.
For teachers & youth workers
If you are a teacher or a youth worker who’s looking to introduce some peace education processes & practices to your classroom or youth space, YPI can help you to find and use relevant resources and/or assist in organising a youth-centred event. For more information, check out the Learning Resources page, or Contact Us.